Question : WiFi Bit Rate All Over the Map

My network is a 4-port Linksys router with three PCs connected.  The 4th port is connected to my WAP54G access point.

When I plug my laptop into a network cable connected to the router the speed is reported as 100 Mbps (radio off when on the cable).  When I remove the cable and turn on the radio the signal strength is excellent (laptop is about 20 inches or so from the WAP).  However the data rate, which is normally reported at 54 Mbps and never seems to vary, has suddenly become variable.  Tonight it was varying all over the place, from 48 Mbps to 5 Mbps.  It never got to 54 Mbps and varied up and down.

Is this normal behavior for the data rate? Or is something potentially haywire with my WAP?

Answer : WiFi Bit Rate All Over the Map

I've always used www.myspeed.com - it seems fairly accurate if you measure the speed using a cable rather than testing it with the WiFi - you are concerned with how much bandwidth you are getting from your ISP and testing it with a cable will provide more accurate results.

As far as the WiFi security is concerned, WPA is what I'm using (with a shared passphrase) and I'm using the Windows XP client (although I have used the Intel Proset client too) which always says "security enabled".  I can't think of a reason why it would say "unsecured" - have you checked in the Wireless Network list to see if there are any other WiFi networks in your neighborhood that you could be connecting to that are unsecured?
Make sure it definately says "security enabled" once it has established a connection - if so then again I wouldn't be too concerned.

I've noticed that because WiFi router manufacturers use the same default name for their devices that if someone installs one by just choosing "yes" to all the default options then they are installed unsecured and with the default channel and device name - this means that my default client connects to about 3 different WiFi networks in my neighborhood when I remove my secured profile.  Wish I'd known they were there before I subscribed to my ISP - I'd of saved a fortune!

Good luck
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us