Question : Remote Assistance

Hi,

Just looking for some advise on a great remote assistance software application.  We used SMS but it's expensive.  Ghost sucks.  We're a small school district (about 900 pcs).  I'm basically looking for a program with the following features:

1.  allows end user to ask for remote assistsance.
2.  allows access to both the end user desktop and the remote user assistance's desktop.
3.  works well with Windows XP SP2.

I've looked at GoToMyPc but it's expensive for a lot of users.  I'm looking at GoToMeeting but I'm not sure if its what I need.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Answer : Remote Assistance

howdy MBCasey,

UltraVNC is a favorite of mine for some time, as it is lightweight, has a ton of capabilities, and has several options that can be
implemented with various methods of usefulness.

Before we start you'll have to understand something:

Depending on your current network setup, you'll have to work on some configuration on your end. (i'm sure you'll do fine, since you're asking for something so advanced).

If all 900 computers are within a single domain on a Class C network with Routers that create VPN connections between them, ALMOST not need to do a further setup for setup.  
All you'll need are computer names, ip addresses.  (Worrying about ports will be nothing since they're basically part of your LAN).

If you have groupings of machines on seperate LANs that need to connect you'll have to worry about opening ports between the different sites.  In most cases this would become very difficult as you'd have to worry about either using differnt ports for each machine (for inbound connections) or using a VNC repeater (whole nother can a worms buddy).

In the case of windows firewall, it will allow these connections IF you open up the necessary ports for them to communicate.  The way Windows Firewall works is to block ALL incoming and outgoing.  So even if you're inside of your own network you'll have to allow connections on 5900 on the servers and 5901 on the "listening" clients.

Bonus?  UltraVNC single click can work through windows firewall! (at least in the tests i've run).

Now to describe the various types of setups of UltraVNC:  (these are by no means the ONLY ways to connect, they're more like a guide on the types of possibly methods).

A normal UltraVNC build will work like this.

UltraVNC server is installed on the machine that you would like to connect to.
UltraVNC client is connected on the computer you would like to view from.

When a tech wants to connect to a person's machine, you simply type in the IP address/NetBEUI name of the machine in question
and then the password to connect.
Once connected you have the capability to see what is on the person's desktop and you can minimize/resize the window you're viewing.
(something that remote desktop won't allow).

In this case when a person needs help they would either email you, message you, or phone you.
(or if you have ticketing system, open at trouble ticket)  

This is useful in networks that arebeing administered from one central location.
Server side has to have a port open, client side does not.  

A reverse UltraVNC setup would work like this:

UltraVNC server is installed on the machine that you would like to connect to.
UltraVNC client is set to "Listening mode" (which requires a different port on the client's side.  I think 5901 or some such on default)

In this case the tech has a "server" (dubbed listening mode) running on his machine.  
The person needing help would go into the options of their server and select "add new client" which would basically send a connection request
back to the "Listening" tech.

the tech clicks "yes" and the connection is established.
Client side needs to have a port open, server side doesn't (as it is establishing an outbound connection).

Using an UltraVNC "Single click" application.

UltraVNC has an interesting little application called "UltraVNC 'Single Click'",  basically it was designed as a
VERY lightweight (usually not over 20kb) application which would allow a person asking for help to double click on it, double click
on an identifier for who they would like to connect to, and it would establish an outgoing request to a "listening" server.

Basically it works in the same manner as the reverse UltraVNC setup, EXCEPT the program doesn't actually have to be installed on the
machine in question, and it leaves no backend or registry entries.
Only problem is that it takes some time to set this up and configure (since you basically have to compile the program with all of
your information and setup), but it's a very useful tool for people who don't know that much about installing and running programs.
Client has to have an open port, server side does not. (as it is establising an inward connection)

alternative methods of using this app:
I was personally designing a connection webpage for this application.  
Basically by clicking on a person's picture, or name it would
automatically download a temp copy and run the program from the computer of ther person that clicked on it.
This would send out a request with the person's ip address and computer name to a tech that would request a connection.

These are just some ideas, if you would like some more specific setup ideas, just ask.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us