Question : VLAN operation using HP Procurve 2524 switches

I'm in charge of a fully switched network.  We use HP Procurve 2524 managed 24 port switches arranged in three switch stacks linked using the stacking modules.

I'm doing some intitial work into the feasibility of implementing VLANs using the Procurves.  I'd like to segment our network into 2 seperate VLANs initially.  One for all of our PCs and one for the MACs

This is my question.  Is there any way this can be leveraged using just the switches themslves, or do I need to purchase an additional router?

I have been playing around with the configuration and I am able to get machines talking to either IP address assigned to a VLAN, but I cannot route between ports on the switch.

The manual, unfortunately, isn't that helpful, but I think I'm correct in assuming that I need a layer 3 backbone switch, such as a Procurve 2650 to act as a router between the VLANs

Answer : VLAN operation using HP Procurve 2524 switches

you don't have to use the cli to create vlans on the procurve if i remember correctly. I really don't work on the hp switches myself. I do know that they do 802.1q though, so what you should do is create the vlans on the switch, and then create the dot1q trunk on the router.

Again, I'm not really sure on the cli commands for the procurve, but I believe that the gui management tool will do it as well.

Here's how the cisco config would look (example):
interface FastEthernet0/0
 description dot1q trunk to core switch
 no ip address
 no ip proxy-arp
 ip route-cache flow
 speed 100
 full-duplex
!
interface FastEthernet0/0.10
 description Server VLAN
 encapsulation dot1q 10