Question : Use PC as wireless repeater?

Hello,

I currently have a wireless AP in the first floor of my house that is in infrastructure mode and connects to my wired network. I have a PDA that  will not get coverage on the second floor of my house. There is a desktop machine(Windows XP) on this floor that is wired to the network. I happen to have a wireless PCI card lying around. I wonder if I were to install this card(Cisco 340) in the PC and run it in ad hoc mode would I be able to bridge the wireless network to my wired network on the second floor? I know there are some options in Windows networking I have never tried, any insight would be appreciated.

Answer : Use PC as wireless repeater?

i believe you can. if you connect the pda and the desktop with ad-hoc, and select the hard cabled ethernet port on the desktop to internect connection sharing, it should give you the internet to the pda. heres an article that is the same idea

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.mspx

im assuming the setup discussed in the article will work for any machines that can connect via ad-hoc rather than just windows xp machines.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us