Question : EVENT ID 1000

Windows cannot obtain the domain controller for your computer network.

This is the message I get in event viewer. I have already tried to manually put in the IP addresses of the preferred DNS servers as suggested in the Microsoft KBase. Didn't fix. I fisrt noticed I had a problem because the roaming profile was failing to load.

PC has internet access so I know the nic is not bad.

HELP!!!

Answer : EVENT ID 1000

On a lark & if you are comfortable with this you might give it a try:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;244474
----------------

If you are using a Gigabit NIC -- it could be this issue:

PRB: Cannot Connect to Domain Controller and Cannot Apply Group Policy with Gigabit Ethernet Devices
View products that this article applies to.
This article was previously published under Q326152
SYMPTOMS
Windows XP-based systems that use Gigabit Ethernet devices may not be able to join an Active Directory domain, which aborts the Group Policy download process. When this occurs, a series of events are written to the event log. For example:

Event ID: 1054
Source: NT AUTHORITY/SYSTEM
Type: Error

Description: Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network. (The specified domain either does not exist or exist or could not be contacted). Group Policy processing aborted.

Data: (unavailable)

CAUSE
The problem occurs because link status fluctuates as the network adapter (also known as the network interface card, or NIC) driver initializes and as the network adapter hardware negotiates a link with the network infrastructure. The Group Policy application stack executes before the negotiation process is completed and can fail because of the absence of a valid link.
WORKAROUND
You may be able to work around this problem by disabling the "Media Sensing" feature in Windows. For additional information about how to disable Media Sense, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
239924 How to Disable Media Sense for TCP/IP in Windows

If you disable Media Sense, and if you cannot join an Active Directory domain or download group policies, make sure that you are running the most current drivers for your network adapter. If you are already running the most current drivers for your network adapter, the only workaround currently available is to switch to a different network adapter.
STATUS
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section of this article.
Network adapter manufacturers may implement workarounds for this problem in their drivers. Microsoft has confirmed that some of these workarounds can cause network adapters to incorrectly report their link speed. As a result, programs that perform downloads from the network, monitor network performance, or do load balancing and packet scheduling (QoS) may not work as expected.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us