Question : Multicast filtering Cisco 3500

Hi,

I need to filter multicast traffic in a Cisco Catalyst 3500 switch. I tried to configure IGMP but I didn't success. I followed what Cisco says to configure IGMP, but it doesn't work. I have a lot of multicast traffic that I receive from a gigabit interface, and I want that this traffic goes only to those ports where there is a multicast receiver, not to every port.

I tried as well to configure mvr but it didn't work.

Thank you in advance

Answer : Multicast filtering Cisco 3500

IP multicast traffic and IGMP is actually handled by routers. The receiving hosts join the multicast groups by sending IGMP join messages to the routers. You can configure IGMP snooping on the switches to listen for these messages, or if your multicast routers are Cisco, configure CGMP on the router interface and the switches. The router takes the info in a IGMP message (multicast MAC addres and joining members MAC address) and translates that to CGMP and forwards it to an address that all switches monitor. The switch will then forward multicast traffic only out ports that have members.

On the router:
router(config-if)#ip cgmp

On the switch in global configuration mode
switch(config)#ip cgmp

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps637/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800d9d3c.html#32737

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us