Question : How can I implement two DHCP servers clustering?

hi

Where I have one DHCP server on my network, I am trying to provide other one to be as a auotomaticlly backup for the firest if it down. I heared about two solutions to this state one of them is dividing the IPs range between the servers but I didn't like It and the other by using cluster way.

Can any body please explain this way by detials?!

thanks

Answer : How can I implement two DHCP servers clustering?

Look at Microsoft's site:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/howitworks/cluster/introcluster.asp

first:
The only software required is TWO copies of Windows Advanced Server.

second:
you need two NICs - one for the network, one for a heartbeat between the two servers.  The two servers are connected to the "heartbeat" NICs via a crossover cable.  The heartbeat is what tells a server the other server is down, take over management of the cluster.

third:
Clusters have a third virtual server.  Only one server can own that 3rd server at a time.  You simply tell it through cluster administrator which server owns the third server and that's the primary.

fourth:
The data is stored on the shared storage.

fifth:
No, DHCP clustering is a choice inside Cluster Administrator.

sixth:
Provided you have shared storage, Cluster administrator will let you select which drives are clustered - only drives connected to SCSI controllers or other recognized cluster capable hardware will be displayed as options for clustering.

Setting up a DHCP cluster is a bit like buying a ferrari to deliver newspapers.  Yes, it will work, but you hardly need it.  If you plan on clustering other services, such as a file server, print server, exchange, sql, then throwing DHCP into the mix can make some sense.  But setting up a cluster to provide DHCP service only when two servers and a split scope can work just as well, is a bit silly, if you ask me.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us