Question : Intermittent lose of connection to a remote domain controller - remote domain controller Gateway IP address changes to Main Office gateway Address

1. Have a main office setup with an SBS 2003 AD integrated domain controller. Main office network is 192.168.0.0, with a gateway address of 192.168.0.1
2. Have a remote office setup with a second domain controller that is a member server of the SBS 2003 domain. Remote office network is 192.168.1.0, with a gateway address of 192.168.1.1
3. Main office and remote site are connected via a point to point vpn using Sonicwall devices (TZ 180).
4. Intermittently, the remote server will not respond (ping), while other devices on the remote network do. The VPN tunnel is still active in this scenario since I can still ping other devices on the remote network. When I can't ping the remote server, I'm finding that the gateway address for the remote server gets changed from 192.168.1.1 (remote gateway), to 192.168.0.1 (main office gateway). If I manually change gw address back to 192.168.1.1, can now ping the remote server. However, after some period of time, will lose connection to the remote server, and once again find the gw address has changed!
This one has me baffled - any help greatly appreciated.

Answer : Intermittent lose of connection to a remote domain controller - remote domain controller Gateway IP address changes to Main Office gateway Address

Finally figured out what is going on.
The default gateway address of the remote server would change whenever I logged onto the remote server. Found that the profile all domain users was running a login script called SBS_LOGIN_SCRIPT.bat. As soon as I removed the reference to the login sscript from a test admin user, no longer had the problem. The login script is running a program called setup.exe. In the folder containing this setup program is a file called config.dat. Appears to be an xml script, but anyway it contains a tag for "defaultgateway 192.168.0.1" (gateway address for the main office).
I'd love to know why this is needed, but couldn't find any information.

Hopefully this will help someone else who runs into the same thing.

Since I figured this out, do I get to assign the points to myself? :)
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us