Question : Remote access for multiple employees -- VPN? pcAnywhere?

I have three employees who occasionally work remotely, and need/would like to connect to their office computers to run programs, etc. The office computers are behind a firewall, and I have opened a few ports through the firewall and routed them to each person's computer using the internal IP address. Right now, I have one logging in using pcAnywhere, another using Remote Desktop, another using Timbuktu -- because (I think) I can route a port to only one internal address.

It seems like I will run out of remote access programs if, for example, five people want to access remotely.

So a couple of questions:

(1) Is it possible for everyone to use (for example) pcAnywhere, and somehow have the program know which internal computer to go to?

(2) If we set up a VPN, do we still need a remote access program like pcAnywhere, or does the VPN by itself solve this problem?

--diane

Answer : Remote access for multiple employees -- VPN? pcAnywhere?

ViniOliva's solution works well, or to answer your question:
1) With PCAnywhere you can install on a PC or server at the office and then add local hosts so you connect to each PC from there. These can be saved as links within the program for future use. However, you are supposed to have a licenses version of PC anywhere for each computer, so it gets expensive. Also although PCAnywhere has been a great tool for years, I find it is not as "efficient" as newer options
2) If you create a VPN you can still use PCAnywhere but the better option is to use remote desktop. The VPN is more secure than connecting with remote desktop directly, and there is no port configuration required at all, you simply connect to the PC's LAN IP the same as if you were in the office. The VPN is an excellent, secure, remote access option, for using and managing all PC's and servers on your network.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us