Question : LAN Segmenting - VLANS & Routing

I have a school network with over 300 Windows XP PC’s and around 6 servers. The infrastructure is mainly layer 2/3 switches, but there are sum hubs on the outer edges. There is only one type of software build on the network that is used by all admin staff, teachers and students, so every PC on the network needs to be able to see every server.

The problem is the utilisation of the network infrastructure is very high. I have learned (after taking advice from suggestions on a similar question I posted on here) that this is due to a piece of software that the school uses to monitor students desktops. This software sends out hundreds of UDP packets and floods the network. After reading into this software I have discovered that it should not be run on a network with over 80 workstations. Unfortunately removing this software is not an option, I therefore will need to segment the network. In my last question I asked for advice and was told that VLANs were an option but I would need a router to route between them. Can anyone suggest a router that will do this job (I am expecting to have approx 8 VLANs)  or can anyone suggest another method.

Sorry if these are stupid questions, but this is not my normal area of expertise.

James

Answer : LAN Segmenting - VLANS & Routing

Sorry I wasn't understanding your question earlier.  You can use your GSM7324 to route between VLANs and also use it to relay DHCP requests from VLANS.  I found the manual and here are the commands.  First you will need to enable routing and enable DHCP relay.  Look at Ch.7.4

ip routing  #enables IP routing#
bootpdhcprelay  #enables DHCP relay#
*bootpdhcprelay serverip  #ipaddr of your DHCP server##
*On Cisco you would add an IP helper address on the VLAN interface.  I assume on the 7324 you would enter 'interface vlan ' first and then use the bootpdhcprelay command.  You should also have IPs on your VLAN interfaces if you don't already.

ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/gsm7312_gsm7324_fsm7326p_commandlinereference.pdf

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us