Question : Built-in Wireless Adapter Can't Find Network

I recently reloaded Windows XP Pro to a laptop (Dell Latitude D800) that had suffered a hard drive crash.  I installed and formatted a new HD then, using the Dell utility disk that came with the system, I installed Windows, all the drivers, and all the Windows updates.  The computer is running fine now and connects to our network via hardwire without issue.  

The problem is the laptop's built in wireless adapter (Intel Pro/Wireless LAN 2100 3A) will not detect our wireless network.  I know it's not a range or signal strength issue because the wireless router and laptop currently are in the same room.  We actually have two routers in different locations in the office and it doesn't detect either of them.  I have the little Windows wireless icon in my taskbar with the red X in it saying no networks are available.  Click it to bring up the wireless settings window and there's nothing listed.  Clicking Refresh does nothing.

Checking the Windows Device Manager, the wireless adapter appears to be installed correctly and Windows says it's running fine.

Lastly, if I plug in a USB wireless adapter, it works just fine...finds and connects to the wireless network without trouble.

So, what's the deal with the built-in adapter?  

I find this extra troublesome because we had the same exact problem when we re-built a Gateway laptop about a month ago.  I eventually just gave up on it and told the user to use a USB wireless adapter, figuring the internal one was broken.  But now that it's happened a second time there must be something I'm doing wrong.  One last tid-bit, the user of said Gateway picked herself up a nice piece of spyware while in an airport and all of a sudden her built in wireless connection kicked in and found the Wi-Fi offered by the airport.  My guess is the spyware, trying to find any way possible to connect to the web to broadcast her information, somehow resurrected the wireless device.  Just too wierd...

Anyway, I'm currently wrestling with this Dell.  Any suggestions?

Answer : Built-in Wireless Adapter Can't Find Network

ive used 100s of dell laptops and never seen an ON/OFF switch for any wireless nics. you do however have to "enable" the NIC in the operating system and BIOS. Rightclick "my network places" and choose properties, then rightclick the wireless nic and make sure it is enabled.  Also check to make sure it is enabled in the BIOS.  The bottom line is, until you see the power and activity lights on the wireless nic, it won't work since obviously it needs power and activity on it to work.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us