Question : When should IPCONFIG / "connection-specific DNS Suffix" display something, and when not? (static, dynamic?)

In Win98 thru WinXP --

Assuming I'm trying to confirm if the network settings on a given PC are correct , and I use start / run / cmd / IPCONFIG...

ON the line "connection-specific DNS Suffix" , I notice that sometimes there is a value listed there, and sometimes not.

On my PC, when I was using "dynamic IP" and "dynamic DNS", this line HAD a value when I was connected correctly, and LACKED A VALUE when I was not...
But when I switched to "static IP" and "static DNS" values -- this line HAD a value when I WAS connected (the opposite indication)

Is this easily explained to a newbie like me?

NOTE -- my main hope is to determine WHEN does this particular line of "IPCONFIG" will tell me useful info for finding out why a PC is not connecting - and WHEN I should IGNORE IT!

thx

Answer : When should IPCONFIG / "connection-specific DNS Suffix" display something, and when not? (static, dynamic?)

I think he's talking about where it says "Connection-specific DNS Suffix" and then it will give you your domain, such as myserver.com. If you are not connected to a managed network, in this case a Win2K or '03 domain, it will say nothing. I also believe if you manually set it - let's say to myserver.com, but you go to another network, yourserver.com, if the manually set DNS suffix does not match the DNS suffix of the network you are on, nothing will be shown.

In the end, it is simply showing you what managed network you are connected to. As far as troubleshooting, it might show you that you are not one the right network, or not seeing it for some reason and can be used as a troubleshooting tool for that purpose.

Thanks,
RushB
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us