Question : Connect 2 computers (WIN98/WIN2K) using ethernet

I have connected my desktop (WIN98) and my laptop (WIN2K professional) with a cross-over ethernet cable. I have enable NETBEUI on both. My laptop uses a domain controller (not a workgroup). I have assigned my desktop the same workgroup as the domain for my laptop. I quick logon to my desktop using my laptop sign-on (except the domain of course). Here is the issue:
1) I am NOT able to see my laptop at all from my desktop
2) I am able to see my desktop from my laptop but no shares from the desktop. When I dbl click on the desktop computer icon on my laptop it just errors out with network path not found.
3) I am able to see the share on the desktop itself (in network neighborhood) however it does not show up in the NET VIEW command, only the computer shows up in NET VIEW.

I would think this is a simple P2P connection but I guessed wrong. I will desist from taking any gratuitous digs at Bill Gates but any help is greatly appreciated.

Manish

Answer : Connect 2 computers (WIN98/WIN2K) using ethernet

Some ideas....

1) For Win98, did you install the File and Printer Sharing service? For 95/98, they (MS) don't assume you want to share things, so the service must be added.

2) a)Is there a user account on the Win2K machine with the same name as the user account you log into the Win98 machine with? I didn't get that from your description. Also, check the share permissions and ntfs permissions of course (although that's not the current problem).

b)Unless there is some reason not to, I would recommend the following:
Install tcp/ip on both machines.
Set Win2K to 10.0.0.1 and Win98 to 10.0.0.2
This should be more reliable. If it still doesn't work, try to do your net commands and drive mappings with the ip addresses (net view \\10.0.0.2) and then try adding entries to your hosts and/or lmhosts files like this:
on Win98:
10.0.0.1 nameofwin2kmachine
on Win2K:
10.0.0.2 nameofwin98machine

3) try from the desktop: net view \\nameofwin2Kmachine
This should show you any non-hidden shares on the desktop

Sorry if I'm getting to simple for you - hope it helps,
JammyPak
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us