Question : Cached Roaming Profiles do NOT delete

Hello all,

I work for a K-12 school district with approx. 500 students and schools in 3 towns.  We have about 280 client computers (all XP Pro) and 7 servers, all Windows 2000.  This summer I have established wireless links and am going to be using roaming profiles.  Nearly everything is working properly, except that I wish to delete the cached copy pf the roaming profile on the client machines.

My Active Directory and Group Policy structure has a single domain for the school district and OU's for each location.  I have enabled the Group Policy key that turns on the deletion of the policy cache.  This has been done at both the domain and OU levels just for redundancy.  I have also verified that the appropriate registry entry is being applied to the machines.  Machine>Software>Policies>Microsoft>Windows>System>"DeleteRoamingCache" is set to 1, just as it should be.  So the group policy is applying itself just fine.  I log in a user, their roaming profile loads properly, and when I log them out it updates it propely, but the cached copy is still present on the local machine.  I log in as my user and navigate to c:\documents and setting\ and the users profile folder is still there with the normal number of files.

Is there something strange going on here or have I made a mistake?

Answer : Cached Roaming Profiles do NOT delete

I also had this same problem when using roaming profiles and group policies on a Windows 2000 domain server with XP clients.  The issue is that the group policy for XP is different from 2000 and you need to administer the policy for the domain from the XP client.  Here is a list of steps use in XP.

Click Start, click Run, type mmc, and then click OK.
On the File menu, click Add/Remove Snap-in.
In the Add/Remove Snap-in dialog box, click Add.
In the Add Standalone Snap-in dialog box, click Group Policy, and then click Add.
In the Select Group Policy Object dialog box, Local Computer appears as the target object. Click Browse, select the GPO that you want to upgrade, and then click OK. Note that when you click Browse, a delay might occur while Windows searches for the policy objects in the domain.
Click Close.
Click OK.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307900
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us