Question : WinXP Pro - max connection of 10 users - need help!

Hi There

I've done some googling and found that my error:

"Microsoft Windows Network: No more connections can be made to this remote computer at this time because there are already as many connections as the computer can accept. This connection has not been restored."

... is actually *by design*. (wtf).

All the computers are Windows XP professional. we had originally purchased 10 in total for a certain lab. One computer is the "server" and we have a share set up so the other 9 computers in the lab can run their programs, save files, and update user data from a proprietary software system.

Due to demand, we have purchased 3 new machines. Everything went from dandy to problematic because as I have discovered, only 10 can connect to the "server" at once, leaving the other 2 in the cold. Without connecting to the share, users cannot retrieve their user information nor run the programs they need. I'm afraid I have 2 paperweights now.

I need to be able to expand my network beyond 10 clients!!! Help, what can I do to either A. Make Windows allow more than 10 connections, or B. get another operating system (Windows 98? Linux? Server 2003?) to accept a greater number of connections while keeping costs to a minimum. (We just busted our budget on these 3 new machines). or C. Do a workaround where we have one server for every 10 clients and just clone the data somehow?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Answer : WinXP Pro - max connection of 10 users - need help!

Windows WORKGROUPS allow a total of 10 concurrent connections at a time. From what you are saying above it looks as if you've outgrown your WORKGROUP environment. You need to graduate your network into a SERVER environment. I would recommend Server 2003, since you are familiar with the Windows product. The SERVER product allows as many concurrent connections as your CLIENT ACCESS LICENSES on the server allow.

I would try to buy a small, low cost server. I would go with Windows 2003 Small Business Server. It's the lowest cost and built for low end environments. You can always get better pricing if you go through a large reseller. Never buy at full price. You will also need CALs to go with it. 12 total if your configuration from above. Server comes with a token number of five. So you'll need to get 7 more at least.

Here's a link to the pricing page:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/sbs/howtobuy/pricing.mspx

SERVER 2003 + SEVEN CALs = YOU'RE IN BUSINESS!

Let me know what happens!
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us