Question : Strange Windows XP remote desktop problem

Someone is trying to connect to one of my Windows XP desktops through the "remote desktop connection".  She is able to connect for months without problems.  Then one day, it just stops working (on her end).  i can still connect to this computer from a different office. (and she can still connect to a different computer in my other office). We go though troubleshooting for days to no avail.  Then suddenly, it works again seemingly without any intervention.  Then, a few months later, this whole mess begins again.

The computer acting as the remote desktop server is Windows XP SP2 (firewall off/on seems to make no difference) no additional firewalls (behind basic linksys router)
Her computer - Windows XP

Potential problems : she has VOIP on her dsl line (however, it still works most of the time, AND she can always connect to the other office.  Makes no sense at all.  Could her ip address somehow be blacklisted by the host computer?  I can't even think of anything else.  Also, the event log shows her trying to get in, and says something about malformed packet or something.

- Tom Kennedy

Answer : Strange Windows XP remote desktop problem

PAQed with points refunded (500)

modulo
Community Support Moderator
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us