Question : W2k DNS Can not find fully qualified domain name

I have 2 W2k DNS Servers in a NT4 domain with two subnets.  Either DNS server can ping the other by short name (dns1 or dns2) but neither can ping the other with the fully qualified domain name (dns1.domain.com or dns2.domain.com).  I get the error = Unknown host dns1.domain.com
  If I do an nslookup it reverses.  The fully qualified domain name is found but the short name produces the error dns2.domain.COM can’t find dns1:  Non-existent domain.
  Both DNS Servers have there own IP as the primary with the secondary server being the other.  They both also have two (different) ISP DNS servers as third and forth DSN Servers to search.
  These servers were both installed a few months ago and had this problem then but seemed to have been cleared up.
  Does anyone recognise this problem and have an idea on how to fix it?

Thanks
Steve

Answer : W2k DNS Can not find fully qualified domain name

Well your DNS servers are responding as you've told them to...

The address 97.123.245.41... How has that been made available to the inside of your network? If it's not routable (internal network to public IP) then it shouldn't be used in a private DNS zone - the messages you have above imply that the external network address is not reachable from the internal network.

Equally if this is a public zone then it shouldn't include private addressing as any client querying DNS2 will fail.

Chris
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us