Question : Spanning Tree to prevent loops? - procurve 2650

Hi All,

I have two Procurve 2650's stacked and in the following configurations

Clients - Ports 1- 48 (both the same)
Switch 1 has port 49 going to port 49 on Switch 2
Switch 1 has port 50 going to Server Switch 1
Switch 2 has port 50 going to Server Switch 2
Server Switch 1 and 2 are linked to each other as well

I assume this is a good setup (I'm no switch genius).

What I want to find out about is Spanning Tree. Every now and again someone manages to plug a cable coming from a floor box on a floor back into another floor port. This brings the network down and means crawling around on the floor to work out where this happened.

Will Spanning Tree prevent this from happening by disabling the loop?

Will turning on Spanning Tree have any effects on my setup now?

Answer : Spanning Tree to prevent loops? - procurve 2650

Locking switches in enclosures won't prevent users from making a loop by plugging two wall jacks into each other,  or creating the loop themselves, by accidentally plugging a  little 5-port switch into their PC, laptop, and into their phone twice.

Yes, if you turn spanning tree on for all access ports (Not in porfast/fast-uplink mode),  and make sure users cannot connect equipment to anything other than an access port,

Spanning tree will help stop loops.   Instead, the port will enter a "blocking" state when periodic BPDUs sent out  get looped back to the switch

The downside is,  every single time a new port is brought online, the switch will not allow traffic from that port for the first 60 seconds.

This makes DHCP not work as well  (when plugging a booted windows box back into the LAN, you will normally need to wait 60 seconds,  ipconfig /flush    and ipconfig /renew )

Still, it is a small annoyance that only occurs when bringing up a new network device (or after restarting a machine or network device), a much smaller annoyance than the global network being ocassionally disrupted by a broadcast storm.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us