Question : large file transfer over wi-fi -> "network connection was aborted by the local system"

I'm trying to copy some 1+ GB files from my notebook to my desktop. The notebook connects wirelessly with its Netgear WG511T 108mbps PC Card (108mbps enabled, signal strength 82%). The desktop connects via Ethernet cable to the Netgear 108mbps WGT624 v2 router. I can browse the network resources and copy small files just fine, but transfers of large files fail midway through with the error message "network connection was aborted by the local system". This may or may not be related, but I also have skips in audio playback on my notebook (2.66 Ghz P4, 960 MB RAM) only when I'm connected to my wireless network; the skips recently decreased to mere blips when I installed new Netgear router firmware. Thanks for your help with the file transfer issue.

Answer : large file transfer over wi-fi -> "network connection was aborted by the local system"

You'll get a faster transfer if you plug your laptop in with a cable to the netgear.  I would also use FTP to do the transfer as it has a little less overhead than using SMB (Windows).

If your filesizes approach 2Gb, I've heard somewhere there is an issue about not being able to copy files that large.  You could grab hold of a freeware program which can chop files up and transfer a bit at a time.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us