Question : ODBC Connection to SQL (MSDE)

From a few of our workstations I am having a problem creating an ODBC connection to a SQL instance on another server (MSDE).

If I create the ODBC connection using the server's IP Address it works fine, but I cannot create it using the name of the server.  I AM howerver able to ping the server by name as well as map a network drive to one of it's shared folder.

What other settings should I check (network, or other areas) to be able to create an instance by name?  this is only affecting a few computers so far.  

Answer : ODBC Connection to SQL (MSDE)

Yes, check your Client Network settings using the Client Network Utility. Start Run, CLICONFG.EXE
Make sure you have the TCP/IP protocol enabled, and you may want to make it first in the Enabled Protocols list. You can also play with different settings like try a Named Pipe and/or create an Alias for troubleshooting.
Also, since SQL listens on port 1433, have you verified that the port is open from client to MSDE server? Try loading SQL client tools on the client machine and connect to MSDE via Query Analyzer.
fs
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us