Question : can resolve names with nslookup, but cannot ping, nor get internet connection

I spent 2 hours with Microsoft trying to resolve this issue to no avail.  Have W2K server with Acitive Directory, and plays roles of DHCP and DNS Server.  I have one XP client that will not get internet connection.  There are about 15 other PCs that connect fine.  Network Firewall is not the issue, because the other PCs have internet connection fine.

When you open IE browser, and type in www.msn.com, the IP address of site is displayed at the bottom left corner of the browser and status bar begins, but the after certain time, the "Cannot display page" appears.

Here is what I've done:

1. I pinged server. Fine.
2. I pinged DNS server (same as above) fine
3. I pinged router.  Fine
4. used nslookup, and url's IP address came back fine.

5. I pinged a website that I know is ping-able, and is does NOT work.  Times out.
6. did the ipconfig /dnsflush, then ipconfig /dnsregister
7. reset winsock too.
8. stopped all Symantec Antivirus and MS Windos Firewall services.

In the NIC properties, I double checked: the IP obtain automatically.  DNS is specified to server.

Can anybody help to get this this XP client to get internet connection again? Any thing with DNS at server? But there shouldn't casue then other PCs wouldn't work either.  PLease help

Answer : can resolve names with nslookup, but cannot ping, nor get internet connection

Try this utility it is a handy little utility to have not only does it repair the winsock it resets the ip stack http://members.shaw.ca/techcd/WinsockXPFix.exe
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us