Question : Proper temperature for server room?

When  I come into the office (where the server equipment runs) the thermostat reads 70-73.   I KNOW it's warmer than that - I have a very good 'body temperature gauge' - mostly because my husband controls the thermostat at home and we fight over it all the time ;)  The temp when I come in in the morning feels about 78-80 degrees and too warm for the server.  The a/c is left off for the night.  My boss and I are having a disagreement about this and I am getting some ticked off looks and frankly some negative comments.  I am on the conservative side.

What is the optimal temperature for the server on an overnight and daily basis?

Thanks, Libbi

Answer : Proper temperature for server room?

This is simple (and no offence meant to anyone here)...

As cool as possible without reaching freezing temperature. Not that you could get it to freezing I think, unless you can come to some sort of agreement with your company's kitchen staff and house the server in the cooling room.

OK, I am just joking around now!

But seriously, if I was you I'd try to convince your boss to get the AC to run 24/7, or at least to stay on a couple of hours longer and turn back on a bit earlier. Can only do good. While you're at it, mention to him to install an extra AC unit in there. That way, if he doesn't agree and the mushy brown pudding hits the fan, you'd be able to say: "I'd hate to say I told you so, but I told you so!".

Case in point: I was once responsible for about 40 brand new PCs (famous and very popular brand), installed in a classroom environment. AC count: none.
I begged, advized and eventually demanded ACs to be installed without any results from the people controlling the cheques.

After year 1, 2 PCs blew.
After year 2, about 15 remain in working condition.

Now then, this was with normal Desktops and doesn't really apply to your situation as you have at least some sort of cooling in place, but it exclaims the point good enough.

Let me say this again, tell your boss in your best Mr. T impersonation: "Make it cool fool!"
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us