Question : linksys 54g router; dlink repeater; smc router -configure all for maximum range, connectivity, access

Hi - would be embarrassed to say how long I've been trying to get this to work.  Once and for all if I could please get some direction,,,

Main router is linksys54g - connected to DSL modemWould like to configure dlink repeater to boost signal from linksys modem to laptop at other end of area that cannot reliabily receive signal.

Would like to have SMC router to provide boost....

What is the best way to go?  Also, I understand that all access points should have their own ip.  I get confused when
configuring the SMC while attached to a lan port of the link sys.  Should it have an ip in the range of the linksys; an ip the same as the default gateway of the linksys; or it's own range.  What should be the ip for the repeater...

Thank you all - have searched this site and found pieces of responses to similar situations as this, but nothing I can get my arms around.  Help is sincerely appreciated.  Based on the length of time I've spent trying to muddle through this, it's worth max points to finally get it resolved.....Thank you in advance!!!!!

Answer : linksys 54g router; dlink repeater; smc router -configure all for maximum range, connectivity, access

So you are trying to do this

Internet -------> Linksys Router ----- "Cat 5e Cable" ------- SMCRouter ---->Lan and Laptop
                                  |
                                   ------------ "Wireless" ---------------- Dlink Repeater

As far as the SMC Router This is how you would configure it.

Log onto the SMC Router
Assign it a LAN address of 192.168.1.2
Disable DHCP.
Now Plug the Network Cable Into a Lan Port into the Linksys Router, Plug the other end of the cable into a LAN Port of the SMC Router (Do not use the WAN port).

What model of Dlink Repeater do you have?  Is it the DWL-G800AP Wireless Range Extender?
If so you have to be carful in the documentation of some of the repeaters it notes what models of AP is will Repeat

Example of the DWL-G800AP Wireless Range Extender Compatiblity
** Only Repeats the Wireless Signal of:
1- D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G™ DI-624 Wireless Router - Firmware 2.37 (Rev.C) or newer.
2- D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G™ DWL-2000AP Wireless Access Point - Firmware 1.56 (Rev.A), 2.06 (Rev.B) or newer .
3- D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G™ DWL-G800AP Wireless Range Extender
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us