Question : LAN problem

Hi

My friend and I have setup a small LAN between our PCs, the config is something like this

Internet -----1st network card
                  2nd network card -------switch-------- 1st network card
                    (Friends PC)                                        (My PC)

We can normally see each other in windows explorer/network neighbourhood (file & print sharing), we can chat in dxdiag (Networking/test DirectPlay), I can use his internet connection (ICS)... but whatever we try we can't see each other in ANY game (tried dozens)

We both have win xp sp2, tcp/ip, ipx and netbeui protocols installed...we tried with firewall on, off, on with exeptions... with ICS disabled, enabled, without ICS... manually configured IPs 192.168.x.x, automatically configured IPs... clean install after formatting... can't remember what else we tried in the past 2 weeks but nothing worked

What are we doing wrong?

BTW for people that would suggest removing the switch and using direct cable connection: we'll be adding more PCs to the LAN once we get it running

Answer : LAN problem

I think its the DirectPlay network player that has a problem. What version of DirectX/DirectPlay is it?

Take a look at this MS article "How to troubleshoot multiplayer issues in Microsoft games"

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;819836
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us