Question : Would a VLAN be a solution to a distant WAN connection point?

Hi, We are about to change our two factory floor timeclocks from an analog connections to networkable. I would like to assign them outside WAN addresses instead of internal LAN addresses, as outside vendors would be accessing the data and I don't want to grant them internal network access. This has worked fine in the past (like our HV/AC control) when I have routed the cat5 cable direct to our WAN switch, but one of the units would require a cable run of over 400 feet away from the WAN switch so that won't do. I'm a virgin to VLAN technology but I thought this might provide a solution to my problem. Specifically to provide a vlan connection for just the 2 timeclocks. Would this work, and if so could you give me a primer on how to get started? I'll be using a netgear prosafe smart switch for testing this concept out.
Thank you!

Answer : Would a VLAN be a solution to a distant WAN connection point?

3Com Commands:

http://support.3com.com/documents/switches/4500/Switch_4500_CRG_V03.03.00_6W101.pdf
starting on page 1-10

Looks like it would be something like this:
Interface GigabitEthernet 1/0/1
Port link-type trunk
Port Trunk permit vlan 1 200

NOTE:  These commands are provided to get you started down the right path.  I am not a 3COM expert, but this is pretty basic stuff.  Be sure to do this DURING A MAINTENANCE WINDOW, do not use these commands during production.  As far as setting up the Netgear in the lab, I'm not sure that will do you much good.  Each manufacturer has different configuration commands.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us