Question : Uses for Scripting

Can someone give me a good example of when nt scripting becomes necessary ? could i create a script for someone to be mapped to their home directory no matter where they log on at ? can i get it to automically update virus definitions from norton ? i seem to hear alot about scripting, i just haven't found the ideal situation to use it. thanks.

Answer : Uses for Scripting

There are lots of reasons to use scripting.  I personally prefer Perl, but there are plenty out there.  Some examples of script I have written are: account creation, file archiving, software settings modifications (ini files, etc), wake-on-lan, registry hacks, DNS to netbios name checks, etc.  There are tons of little day to day things that I do with Perl, that would take a long time to do by hand.  We currently are using McAfee virus scan, I have login scripts to check a share point on our servers for updates and install them if necessary.  The biggest advantages of scripting a process are you can make large changes rapidly, and you are sure it is done the same way every time.

thanks,
Tom.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us