Question : Windows 2003 Redundant DNS Server

Good day,

I am running a Domain with Small Business Server 2003, this server is also my dns server.  I am starting to have dns issues from time to time because (I think) my DC is quite  loaded.  Issues are mostly timeouts. I was able to fix the problem temporarily by adding openDNS as a second DNS server on my DHCP Scope options...    SO now.. sometimes, when i try to \\servername, opendns popsup a webpage..

So I would like to setup another DNS server on my domain. i have 2 other 2003 servers Sandard editions...

DO i have to create it locally by adding the necessary components via Add/Remove Programs, or I should see what i can do via AD?

Basically, what are the best practices?  I cannot have a 2nd DC because of Windows Small Business Servers limitations:
 - Only one computer in a domain can be running Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server.
- Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server must be the root of the Active Directory forest.
- Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server cannot trust any other domains.
- Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server is limited to 75 users or devices depending on which type of CAL.
- Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server is limited to 4GB of RAM (Random Access Memory).
- A Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server domain cannot have any child domains.
 -Terminal Services only operates in remote administration mode on the server running SBS 2003, and only two simultaneous RDP sessions are allowed. (Change from SBS 2000 policy)[5]
To remove the limits from SBS server and upgrade from Small Business Server to regular - - - - Windows Server, Exchange Server, SQL and ISA server versions there is a Windows Small Business Server 2003 R2 Transition Pack.[2]

Answer : Windows 2003 Redundant DNS Server

There is nothing stopping you having a second DC - SBS does allow this - what it does not allow is for you to transfer the FSMO roles to another DC.

The best option therfore is to create a second DC and make this a DNS server also - as you will be using AD Integrated DNS, DNS will replicate to the new DC with AD.

If you want more resilliance you could also make the seconf DC an DHCP server as well - so long as the scopes do not overlap. Finally configure all machines with the IPs of both DNS servers - either by setting the Preferred and Alternate DNS server settings in the TCP/IP options - and/or making sure both DNS servers are being specified in the DHCP options
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us