Question : PC will not acquire IP address / Laptop works fine

A couple days ago I came upon my desktop computer and noticed that the internet was no longer working on it.  I tried power-cycling everything, but the computer would just not obtain an IP.  All the correct lights are working on my cable modem and wireless router.  To eliminate the cable modem and router as possible causes, I used my laptop and was able to easily sign on to the wireless network, which issued an IP and I was able to surf the net.  

I’ve tried a few things with my desktop, including the Winsock2 fix per Microsoft, but used System Restore after it seemed to cause more harm than good.  Also, I have tried 3 different CAT5 cables and none have worked.  Usually Windows either says network cable unplugged (when it’s plugged in) or will say limited or no connectivity and give me a 169 IP.

Currently my desktop has an IP for some reason; the router issued one.  It doesn’t say limited connectivity and is connected, sending and receiving data.  But it’s strange; it’s like only ½ working.  It partially allowed me to sign on to IRC, my DNS redirector connected to the service momentarily (and disconnected) and it started to load websites, but didn’t actually complete anything.  I tried to log on to my router, because since last night, my wireless connection isn’t showing up anymore, but trying to connect to the router times out (even though it’s supposedly my Gateway/DNS).  I’ve also tried pinging the router and I get 50% loss.

I restarted the computer and when it tried to obtain an IP, was unable to and timed out.  However, I plugged my laptop in to the router directly and it obtained an IP immediately and was able to surf the net.  I was also easily able to sign on to the router and refreshed the Wireless Info and the wireless network option came back.  So the laptop has no problems interacting with the router and getting on the internet, but for some reason the desktop cannot.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  I’m still not completely sure where the problem lies, and I assume my WinSock data is ok because I’ve been able to partially connect to the internet.

Answer : PC will not acquire IP address / Laptop works fine

I think you could maybe use a new nic.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us