Question : XP Home Wireless Network - Printer Sharing from one comp keeps resetting to not shared after reboot?

Hi,

i have a home wireless network:

1 computer connected to one color and one black and white printer.
1 laptop.

After I restart the computer my laptop cannot print - this is due to the shares being lost on the computer.... is there any way this can be set permanantly so I do not have to reset the shares after each restart.

Thanks
Neil

Answer : XP Home Wireless Network - Printer Sharing from one comp keeps resetting to not shared after reboot?

Hi, use "net use" commands in a batch file, and add a shortcut to the batchfile in the startup folder of your start menu.  If you give me specific share names I can give you excact syntax for the commands and info on how to build a simple batch program file and test it.  Then after you have the net use statements pointing to virtual LPT ports say LPT2 and LPT3 then you just change the print to the following port line in the properties of the printer driver in the printers window. The basic layout of the process is this:
Start, Run, in the line provided type cmd and press enter(use Command if a win9x machine)
type cd\ and press enter at the command prompt.
type edit login.bat and press enter
you will get a new screen in the window which is the edit.com program and the screen should be blue.
In this window we need to add the command lines for the "net use" share names
example "net use LPT2 \\computername\printersharenameblack&white" press enter
example "net use LPT2 \\computername\printersharenamecolor" press enter
**note: don't use the /persistant:yes switch as it will conflict with the batch after the first boot
then type pause and press enter
then type exit and press enter
the first line will give use the chance to see if the command works properly if it does then you edit the batch again and backspace over the pause command and leave the exit command - for now leave in the pause.  
Save the batch
Exit the edit program
exit the command window
Now open the search shortcut on the Start Menu or Find if your machine is Win9X.
Search for all files and folders on local disk C:
enter login.bat in the field of what to find or search for
only one file should appear.  Right click it and select from the menu "send to" and then Desktop create shortcut.  Close the find window and find the shortcut to login.bat on your desktop.  Right click it and select copy and navigate to the Startup folder of your Start menu.
Right Click Startup and select open folder.  Paste the shortcut to login.bat in the startup folder.  Close all windows and reboot.  
When the OS restarts a black Command window will open there should be no errors if the syntax is correct and there are no real network problems with the shares.  If it's clean press any key and the window goes away and the ports are now setup in the OS. follow the earlier instructions to get into the batch file and remove the Pause command.  This will make it so the Black window goes away automatically.  If errors exist post them in a followup and we can deal with them then.  
Now move the print to the following port to it its corresponding LPT port number we just setup instead of the network port listed.
Open your printers folder, right click the printer, Select properties and if XP or 2000 go to the Ports tab and check the corresponding port #.  If Win9x select the details tab and select the port # from the "Print to the Following Port" dropdown menu.

good luck
Many happy printjobs to you

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us