Question : Accessing shares on another workgroup via a NIC with ICS enabled.

Hello All,

Currently in a strange computer setup, I have my home network connected to the office network which provides me with internet access.  My home network consists of a workgroup for example named "HOME" with the network of 192.168.0.1/24.  The office network which has the internet access has the example name of "OFFICE" and the ip range of 192.168.2.1/24.

On the "HOME" network I have "PC1" which has two network cards attached, one which is part of the "OFFICE" network and one which is part of the "HOME" network which then has ICS enabled (to share the internet from the "OFFICE" network to the other PC's on the "HOME" network).

The problem is that on "PC1" I have a share (for example called "FILES").  This share is accessible via any of the PC's in the "HOME" network without problem, but this share is not available on the "OFFICE" network.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to how this share could also be made available to "OFFICE" or is this simply not possible when using ICS on the OFFICE NIC?

Thanks
Anubis.

Answer : Accessing shares on another workgroup via a NIC with ICS enabled.

ICS creates a basic firewall using NAT, and may also add additional security options, as the Office network is considered the external or dangerous network. It may then protect Home network resources.
Try first of all checking the Firewall for the 192.168.2.x adapter. To do so go to: control panel | network connections | windows firewall | exceptions
There should be an exception present called "file and print sharing". If not enabled it. Then highlight it and choose edit. There will be 4 ports listed. For each one highlight it and choose change scope. It will probably show "my subnet only" which by default will be the Home subnet. Either change to "Any computer", or "Custom list" and add the subnets in the form:
192.168.2.0/255.255.255.0,192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0
Note: x.x.x.0/255.255.255.0 = all IP's of that subnet
Good article relating to firewall.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb877979.aspx
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us