Question : Computer name resolution

When I lookup a computer name in windows explorer as \\{computername} on my computers in the 192.168.50.x subnet, I can see all computers, those in domain mode and those in workgroup mode.

I have a VPN tunnel going to another office. the subnet for that network is 192.168.51.x. When looking up a computer name on that side, or when looking up a computer name from that side to here, the name resolution isn't working. However, looking up \\{IP address} works just fine.

Can anyone explain to me what is happening? In both cases, the DNS server is 192.168.50.201, the server's address, which acts as DHCP and DNS server.

Answer : Computer name resolution

When you browse to a UNC, you are actually using NetBIOS initially, not DNS. The order of lookup resolution is:

1. Local NETBIOS cache (including #PRE entries from LMHosts)

2. WINS (if configured and the client is a H node)

3. NetBIOS broadcast

4. LMHosts (all entries including those not marked as #PRE)

5. Local DNS cache

6. Hosts file

7. DNS server

So, looking at this logically - the machines on another subnet cannot be resolved using NetBIOS unless you have a WINS server set up (because broadcasts do not cross subnets). So if you do not have WINS, steps 1-4 will fail (unless you have added entried into LMHosts)

A machine will automatically append it's own DNS suffix to an un-qualified name in order to try to resolve it. So while steps 1-4 were looking for 'server', steps 5-7 are looking for 'server.domain.local' on the DNS server. Check to see if these entries are on the DNS server.

But If a machine is not on the domain, unless you have configured a DNS suffix on it, it will not be able to resolve other hosts using an unqualified name.

If you have a mix of domain/non domain machines and you want to easily be able to resolve un-qualified names across both subnets, then I'd recommend setting up WINS on a server, then in your DHCP scope, configure all your clients to use this WINS server and make them 'H' node types.

I think this would be the simplest method.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us