Question : Two Xbox's on Xbox Live - One Broadband Connection And Router (Two Network Devices, Same Services/ports to Outside World)

I currently have an xbox sat on my network working with Xbox live nicely, along with the rest of my machines.

My Housemate is considering buying himself one as well, and getting live. However, both won't just work on the network, due to only a single port being on the outside for xbox gaming...

Is there a viable solution to this? My immidiate reaction is that it would need twin IP addresses on the network end - so that there can be two sets of the same ports for the xbox's - But is this possible and would it work.
Or would there be a way of using one xbox internally, and one sat on the DMZ slot of the router?

Thanks

Answer : Two Xbox's on Xbox Live - One Broadband Connection And Router (Two Network Devices, Same Services/ports to Outside World)

If X-box Live truely cannot tolerate multiple users from a single IP, because the server will only send packets out on a single port, then there is no way for a Network Address Translation device, (Linksys, Netgear and Etc. broadband routers, Or Windows Internet connection sharing,) to enable both connections.

Some broadband ISP's will allow you to lease additional IP addresses. Comcast charged $5.95 for an additional IP Wide Open West gives me 3 ip's as part of my 4.0 Mbit service

hookup would be as follows

Cable modem to uplink port on switch, (Or normal port with crossover cable,) (also, many new switches will automatically switch to uplink mode on all ports, so no crossover cables will be needed.) other ports on switch go to the deviced assigned an IP by the ISP. (Broadband routers, game consoles whatever)

I would say try it, and see what happens.

make sure you have not set your router to forward ports used by x-box live to a specific IP.

at that point, either:
a. It won't work at all
b. it will work because both boxes connect to different IP's of the xbox live server farm
c. it will work because the second box to log in will fail, and then attempt to use a different incoming port.

really this question would be best answered by Microsoft's tech support
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us