Question : How DNS works

Hi,

I'm studying a MS course and am trying to get my head around a DNS question which i'm confused on. I think the reason i'm confused is that i'm not grasping the concept of how DNS works...so if i just make an example up can someone answer my question

When they draw a "DNS diagram" they have the main name at top and the branches that split out in triangles. So if you can imagine...

Lets say you have ABC.com. This would be at the top

and then you have one called west.abc.com branching out from abc.com. Assume both have their own dns servers

My question is can clients in West.abc.com always query the dns server in abc.com without there being any forwarders, stub zones, secondary zones...etc set up?

Q2) does the same apply for abc.com i.e. can they query the dns server in west.abc.com without there being and forwarders...etc being set up

Thanks in advance

PS: No this isn't homework i'm trying to understand how dns works

Answer : How DNS works

If you are talking about a fully integrated AD/DNS domain then yes, they should (with the default security setup and assuming there are no firewalls etc between) access each other's DNS databases. The integration sorts it all out for you. There are configs you can do to prevent replication or routing but that is a later change.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us