Question : Problem connecting wireless router with DSL

Hi,

This is, to me anyhow, pretty strange. I have had a home wireless network now for a couple of years, and never had more than a minor glitch. I am now in the process of getting rid of RoadRunner and getting Verizon's DSL hooked up. The DSL works great when the DSL modem is connected directly to a PC, but when I try to connect it to the router, it doesn't work.

What is strange is that if I unplug the DSL modem from the router and plug the cable modem into the router, it works great. If I plug the DSL modem into the PC, that works great. I would think that there must be some DSL/router specific settings that I am missing, but I cannot find anything in the documentation about it.

My wireless router is a Linksys WRT54G. It's been a silent workhorse, but as I mentioned, when I plug in the DSL modem, all I get is amber lights, and no connectivity.

If anyone has any ideas what I can try to do to resolve the problem, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jeff

Answer : Problem connecting wireless router with DSL

most likely problem-  Do you remember telling the Verizon software some login/password information?  This needs to go on the router in pppoe authentication or somesuch.  Tell Linksys box that you are using PPPoe.

slightly less likely- you may need a crossover cable between the cable modem and the WAN or INTERNET port on the Linksys
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us