Question : VNC : Configuration

I am a resident of Ottawa who would like to provide maintenace for my Parents PC in Chilliwack. I think that this should be possible using VNC software. I sent them the server software (it's a little over a mb) and have asked them to install. I will install the viewer on my box here at work. I will be using a T1 communicating through their Telus 28.8 dialup. My question is, how should I obtain their IP address/hostname (I will need this for my viewer of course) and is it possible through both Telus and my employers Firewall. Do I simply ask my folks to perform ipconfig to obtain that info? Will their IP be static or is it dynamic (dhcp)?

Answer : VNC : Configuration

You should ask your folks for the IP, as it may vary - depending on the ISP. A tool like ICQ or similar may also do the job. If your folks move ofver the VNC icon in the tray, the IP will pop up as hint - very useful and easier to use and explain than ipconfig or winipcfg.

Then, for the firewall, if it doesn't block outgoing traffic to port 5900, VNC will work just fine.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us