Question : Set up FTP on AIX 4.3.3

I just need to set up an RS/6000 for simple FTP access from my WinXP desktop. It doesn't even have to be secure. I have created an account on the AIX box, made it an administrative account, placed it in the staff group. FTPD is running. When I connect to the RS/6000 from my desktop via FTP the seesion opens fine and I am prompted for user/pass. However, when I try to login I get "Login incorrect". The account I'm using can log into the RS/6000 from the console fine. Also, it does own it's home directory and the directory is completely readable and writable. What am I missing here?

Answer : Set up FTP on AIX 4.3.3

if u change a user's password from root or other privileged accound and you dont want to force the user to change his/her password, you can execute the pwdadm -c <user> command, that will clear the flag in /etc/security/passwrd file that forces the user to change the password.

also, AIX does not come with this feature by default but check whether the user exists on /etc/ftpusers, btw... here is a part of man ftpd...

o The user must have a password in the password database,
    /etc/security/passwd. (If the user's password is not null, the client
    process must provide that password.)
  o The user name must not appear in the /etc/ftpusers file.
  o The user's login shell must appear in the shells attribute of the
    /etc/security/login.cfg file.
  o If the user name is anonymous or ftp, an anonymous FTP account must be
    defined in the password file. In this case, the client process is allowed to
    client host. The ftpd daemon takes special measures to restrict access by
    the client process to the anonymous account.

looking at above, I would use a different login id to have seasonal ftp access..

regards,
esv
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us