Question : Secondary default gateway

My job has DHCP NT Server that automatically assigns DNS,WINS,default gateway, IP address to 150 clients. My boss wants to add 1 additional default gateway, so the goal is to have 2 default gateways, 1 default gateway for certain users and the second default gateway  for some other users. (We have the second router to act as a secondary default gateway) Where in Windows NT do I make the second default gateway entry? so that when clients ask for a lease the second default gateway is automatically assign to the client.

Thanks,
Guanaco2000

Answer : Secondary default gateway

Your not going to be able to specify with DHCP which clients can receive what gateway assignment as long as they are all on the same subnet. You can however put both gateways into the scope and any client that receives a lease will have both gateways. Other then that you will have to manually tell each pc which gateway to use via it's network properties. Anything you manually put into the network settings on the pc's will override the information that DHCP hands out.

Now if it is possible to use a different subnet mask and create 2 different subnets, you can place the computers that need the one gateway into one subnet with their own DHCP server. Then you can place the other pc's that need the 2nd gateway into another subnet with their own DHCP as well.

Only having 1 DHCP isn't going to accomplish what you are requesting because DHCP can decide which computers should have what gateway, it simply responds to the request for IP and returns the information it's told to give. If it doesn't matter that all pc's have both gateways this would be the easiest way to accomplish this and would create redundancy in you network as well.

Hope this helps,

TooKoolKris
MCSE+I, CCNA, A+
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us