Question : Which broadband router? Must support both DSL and Cable broadband in UK + VPN tunnelling + Cisco VPN Client v5 + XP + Vista

Dear Colleagues,

I am looking for a broadband router that will work on both DSL and cable broadband services. Flexibility of interfaces, i.e. wireless, Ethernet and USB will be an advantable although the USB interface is not necessary. The router must provide the appropriate interfaces for a cable broadband service as well.  The router must also support VPN connectivity and Cisco VPN Client sofware from version 5 onwards.

Most of our users use XP and Vista and we are expecting to see a migration from the XP platform to Vista in a great number in the next coming months. So ideally, the router should support both XP and Vista.  Some users have BT broadband and others have NTL / Virgin Media cable broadband services.  We also have users on Tiscali broadband services but I am  not sure if this is DSL or cable although I suspect this must a cable broadband service as well.

What I am looking for, is a router that can accommodate all users regardless of their broadband service provider.  This is mainly for domestic usage.   Below is the summary of the specs:

1. Broadband router to support both DSL and Cable broadband services in the UK
2. Must provide at least Ethernet, Wireless and whatever interfaces are required to connect to a Cable broadband service
3. Must provide NAT, DHCP, Firewall, i.e. all usual features
4. Must support VPN tunnelling
5. Must support Cisco VPN Client software from version 5 onwards.

Many thanks in advance,

Koudry

Answer : Which broadband router? Must support both DSL and Cable broadband in UK + VPN tunnelling + Cisco VPN Client v5 + XP + Vista

well as far as adsl and cable as long as the wan port can be configured as ethernet by disabling the adsl modem in the router

see http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/product.asp?pr=VIGOR2820

it can do vpn ipsec as well
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us