Question : Scanning backout.tts hang on boot

Hi All -
NetWare 6.5 sp6 server abended this morning and upon boot up started hanging on the Initializing Transaction Tracking System.  I then booted to -na -ns and loaded startup.ncf, then loadstage 1.  System got passed the Initializing Transaction Tracking System, however it is now sitting on Scanning backout.tts.  UGH!  It has been on this for about 2 hours.  Anyway I can tell the system to NOT do this upon boot up so I can get the server back online for my users?  Please help.

Answer : Scanning backout.tts hang on boot

How big is the volume?  Sounds like a case in point illustrating why you should use NSS on NetWare 6.5/OES.

If you've got a really large traditional volume, a TTS backout can take a really long time to complete, as you found out firsthand.

I suppose you could disable TTS, which would make NetWare's volumes as unstable and unreliable in a crash as Windows FAT.  I'd rather look into what it would take to move my volumes to NSS, which is the default filesystem for NetWare 6.5.  

NSS is built for large volumes and comes up really fast, even after a crash - and it also is a transactional, journaling filesystem, with even more capability than traditional NWFS.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us