Question : Problems with XP/2003 R2 NTFS File Permissions

After a permissions change by another Admin, suddenly a user can't access files on a shared folder on a Win2003R2 Standard server.  The error message the user gets in MS Word 2007 is Access Denied, contact your administrator.  Unfortunately that Admin and his knowledge left with him to his new job.

The user is a member of a Security Group (Providers) and Providers has write access, in fact other members in that same group are able to save changes.

The permissions on the Share are set to Everyone has Full Control.  More granular file level control is in place via the Security tab, with everything checked but Delete.

Even adding the User directly to the Share and to the Security Tab with everything but Full Control doesn't work.

I've even deleted the Share, rebooted, and rebuilt it.  To my dismay  I see that even after deleting the Share and rebooting, I still see that the same list of Permissions.  Like the share won't die or forget it's past ACLs.

How do I flush out what Permissions a user really has?  I've toyed with SomarSoft DumpSec and AccessChk.exe, as well as looking at the Effective Permissions Tool.  But ideally, I want to see it from the file's perspective.

Code Snippet:
1:
2:
3:
4:
5:
6:
7:
8:
9:
10:
11:
12:
13:
14:
15:
16:
17:
18:
19:
20:
21:
22:
23:
24:
25:
26:
27:
28:
29:
30:
31:
32:
33:
34:
35:
36:
37:
38:
39:
40:
41:
42:
43:
44:
10/6/2009 2:29 PM - Somarsoft DumpSec (formerly DumpAcl) - \\HSUSERVER (local)
Path (exception dirs and files)	Account                	Own 	Dir        File       	

\\HSUSERVER\PT_Notes=X:\PT_Notes (disktree)	Everyone               	    all       
\\HSUSERVER\PT_Notes=X:\PT_Notes (disktree)	RKHSU\Administrators   	 o 

\\HSUSERVER\PT_Notes\	RKHSU\FrontDesk        	    dx00000116 dx00000116
\\HSUSERVER\PT_Notes\	RKHSU\OfficeAdmin      	    dx00010040 dx00010040
\\HSUSERVER\PT_Notes\	RKHSU\Administrators   	    all        all       
\\HSUSERVER\PT_Notes\	RKHSU\egleach          	    RWXD       RWXD      
\\HSUSERVER\PT_Notes\	RKHSU\FrontDesk        	    R X        R X       
\\HSUSERVER\PT_Notes\	RKHSU\OfficeAdmin      	    RWX        RWX       
\\HSUSERVER\PT_Notes\	RKHSU\OfficeChartDelete	    ax001301ff ax001301ff
\\HSUSERVER\PT_Notes\	RKHSU\Providers        	    RWX        RWX       
\\HSUSERVER\PT_Notes\	RKHSU\Administrator    	 o 

\\HSUSERVER\PT_Notes\New Practice\	RKHSU\FrontDesk        	    dx00000116 dx00000116
\\HSUSERVER\PT_Notes\New Practice\	RKHSU\OfficeAdmin      	    dx00010040 dx00010040
\\HSUSERVER\PT_Notes\New Practice\	RKHSU\Administrators   	    all        all       
\\HSUSERVER\PT_Notes\New Practice\	RKHSU\egleach          	    RWXD       RWXD      
\\HSUSERVER\PT_Notes\New Practice\	RKHSU\FrontDesk        	    R X        R X       
\\HSUSERVER\PT_Notes\New Practice\	RKHSU\OfficeAdmin      	    RWX        RWX       
\\HSUSERVER\PT_Notes\New Practice\	RKHSU\OfficeChartDelete	    ax001301ff ax001301ff
\\HSUSERVER\PT_Notes\New Practice\	RKHSU\Providers        	    RWX        RWX       
\\HSUSERVER\PT_Notes\New Practice\	?unknown               	 o 

\\HSUSERVER\PT_Notes\New Practice\0.doc	RKHSU\FrontDesk        	               dx00000116
\\HSUSERVER\PT_Notes\New Practice\0.doc	RKHSU\OfficeAdmin      	               dx00010040
\\HSUSERVER\PT_Notes\New Practice\0.doc	RKHSU\Administrators   	 o             all       
\\HSUSERVER\PT_Notes\New Practice\0.doc	RKHSU\egleach          	               RWXD      
\\HSUSERVER\PT_Notes\New Practice\0.doc	RKHSU\FrontDesk        	               R X       
\\HSUSERVER\PT_Notes\New Practice\0.doc	RKHSU\OfficeAdmin      	               RWX       
\\HSUSERVER\PT_Notes\New Practice\0.doc	RKHSU\OfficeChartDelete	               ax001301ff
\\HSUSERVER\PT_Notes\New Practice\0.doc	RKHSU\Providers        	               RWX       

\\HSUSERVER\PT_Notes\New Practice\14ESIgnout.doc	RKHSU\FrontDesk        	               dx00000116
\\HSUSERVER\PT_Notes\New Practice\14ESIgnout.doc	RKHSU\OfficeAdmin      	               dx00010040
\\HSUSERVER\PT_Notes\New Practice\14ESIgnout.doc	RKHSU\Administrators   	 o             all       
\\HSUSERVER\PT_Notes\New Practice\14ESIgnout.doc	RKHSU\egleach          	               RWXD      
\\HSUSERVER\PT_Notes\New Practice\14ESIgnout.doc	RKHSU\FrontDesk        	               R X       
\\HSUSERVER\PT_Notes\New Practice\14ESIgnout.doc	RKHSU\OfficeAdmin      	               RWX       
\\HSUSERVER\PT_Notes\New Practice\14ESIgnout.doc	RKHSU\OfficeChartDelete	               ax001301ff
\\HSUSERVER\PT_Notes\New Practice\14ESIgnout.doc	RKHSU\Providers        	               RWX       

Answer : Problems with XP/2003 R2 NTFS File Permissions

A deny will prevent access regardless of where else it has been granted. Are there any denys set anywhere? Is this user a member of any other groups that my have been denied?
You mention that users are unable to access but other users of the providers group are able to access, what are the differences between these users?
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us