Question : Windows XP: DHCP bug?

Here's a problem that is driving me batty:

A network user has a company laptop, which she brings to our main office on occasion.  The laptop has been "upgraded" to Windows XP Professional 32 bit edition (from windows Vista).  The user uses the laptop regularly at a satellite office (on WiFi).  The wireless network adapter is an Atheros AE5007G, with a properly functioning Windows XP driver.  The network addressing scheme at the remote office is 192.168.2.x with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.

This user boots the computer on the main office LAN (address scheme 192.168.0.x, subnet mask 255.255.254.0), and every time, without fail, the machine assumes an IP of 192.168.0.4 on the WiFi Adapter(!) (coincidentally, the same LAN IP as one of our Solaris web application servers, which has this IP programmed on it's LAN interface as a fixed IP.  This is disastrous, as Solaris's response to a duplicate IP detection is to shut town the TCP/IP stack and services, and restart it all until the problem resolves...wish Solaris handled the situation more gracefully).  Opening a command line on the laptop in XP and doing an "ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /renew" fixes this (by forcing it to grab a DHCP lease from our main office DHCP server).  

The DHCP server on our main office network is a Windows 2003 server (our primary domain controller), whose DHCP  lease range is programmed as 192.168.0.21-192.168.1.231 (addresses outside this range are reserved for fixed IP's) with a netmask of 255.255.254.0.  The DHCP server at the satellite office is the WiFi router at that office (a Linksys WRT-54G).

The WiFi access points in our main office are just that-access points.  I have checked the main office network for rogue DHCP servers several times, and have found none.  Any ideas why this one XP machine is behaving in this manner?  I have tried to duplicate the behavior on several other laptops, and I can't.  I would love to know how to clean the table, registry entry, etc. that makes XP assume the erroneous IP when associated with the main office WiFi access points in the first place...

Answer : Windows XP: DHCP bug?

Question PAQ'd, 250 points refunded, and stored in the solution database.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us