Question : Connect the Linksys Wireless-G to an existing Linksys WAG200G Router

My desktop has an access to internet through the Linksys WAG200G router of our bulding. I just bought Linksys Wireless WRT54GC planning to connect it to the existing router in such a way I can use my laptop through wireless connection.

I did the the installed the setup and followed carefully the instruction during the installation. The installation runs smoothly until Router configuration settings but when it started to verify router setting it fails. It says that the "No internet connection is detected."

Please advise me on what to do.

Thank you for any assistance in advance.

Ed

Answer : Connect the Linksys Wireless-G to an existing Linksys WAG200G Router

Hello mindsuperb:

You don't really need admin rights on your landlord's router, and you should be able to hook your wireless router. You do need to know how to get into your wireless router and set it up.

You know (from the above) that the landlord's router LAN IP range starts at 192.168.1.1 and that the DHCP range probably starts at 100.

Before you start anything, ping some addresses in the DHCP range. Is .134 available, .135, .136 etc.

Hook up the wireless router WAN port to a LAN port on the landlord's router (use your desktop connection if you have no other connection port (disconnect the desktop temporary).

Log into the wireless router. Assign the WAN port to 192.168.1.2 if you can. If you cannot, use an address in the DHCP range. Assign the subnet mask as 255.255.255.0 and the gateway to 192.168.1.1. You now should have internet at the wireless router (using a wired connection).

From there, you should be able to set up the wireless connection, and if you only have one wired connection from your landlord, you should be able to hook up the desktop to the wireless router.

... Thinkpads_User
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us