Question : Another Kind of Corrupted Compressed Files On Server

I'm posing this on the Netware thread, though it could just as easily be on the Win95 Networking thread or a General Network if they had one.

I compress a directory using ARJ (reputable archiving program by Robert Jung). It's 2MB large.  I copy it to a diskette (or CD).  I send it to a customer who puts it in their drive and copies it to their server.  Trying to uncompress it, they get an error by the compression utility.
They compare the compressed file on the server with the on on the diskette (or CD) and it reports differences though the total bytes is the same.  They copy from the diskette (or CD) to their local hard drive and it uncompresses perfectly. They copy from the local hard drive to the network drive and the compare reports differences the the total bytes is (are) the same.

Please don't take offense, but I don't want the suggestion to use PKZIP.  ARJ is not the problem.  

Thanks, JP

Answer : Another Kind of Corrupted Compressed Files On Server

If the file server is NetWare 4.x with compression enabled on its volumes then the problem is most likely hardware caching on the drive.  Turn write caching off on your drive and your problem will disappear.  There should be a utility program that came with your drive for doing this or you should be able to download one from WD.  Leave all caching to NetWare.  Some newer drives recognise NetWare as the OS and automatically disable their internal cache.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us