Question : Resolution Issue

Hi. I have an issue with resolution names on windows xp.
Scenario: a Windows XP is connected to a network (no AD domain) with IP 192.168.0.x. - 255.255.255.0. In this conditions, I can ping to a server called "PROXY" (a Samba server), at IP 192.168.0.2, and I can access to a shared folder vía "\\PROXY\shared". Also, I can access to the same folder running "\\192.168.0.2\shared"
At this point, everything works ok. (First question: the resolution of "proxy" name is provided by NetBios?, There is no DNS (because these are pointing to ISP DNS), no WINS is configured into the network, and no entries are in HOST and LMHOSTS files). Furthermore, I can see all the machines connected to the network using Network Neighborhood

Now, we are doing some changes, and I need to change the IP address because we are implementing AD domain, and the DC is on another IP space. The goal is that when the Windows XP be in AD Domain, the XP needs to maintain access to shared folder on Samba, so:
I've changed IP address by 172.17.x.x - 255.255.0.0, DG, DNS, etc. in according to join a AD Domain.
Before to join the XP into domain, I can ping 192.168.0.2 (because there is a Cisco router routing between both networks), but when I try to run "\\192.168.0.2\Shared" or "\\proxy\shared" doesnt work. (Second question: Why???)
Third Question: I need to maintain access to shared folder on Samba. How can I do this?

Thank you.

Answer : Resolution Issue

mcolex.

Your looking at some major networking issues if you do this slowly.

For an AD domain, you need DNS to be administered by that domain controller. Also, your machines need to be within the same subent and IP space. So, I would recommend setting up DNS as well as DHCP. Then, I would disable your router's ability to provide DHCP to your LAN.

I assume you want to eventually graduate to a flat domain with your AD domain controller as the head of it. This means all on one IP space with a DC, samba server ect..., correct me if I am wrong.

We can do all 40 machines and your Samba server within the hour if you wish.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us