Question : Upgrading bios

I have recently purchased a second hand hp descktop with a d330 motherboard and Im trying to install my wd2500 harddrive on it with out success. The hard drive does work  as I only pulled it out of my old machine. My bios and windows setting dont detect it. It is currently running as a slave along side a western digital 40gig and the os is xp pro

Answer : Upgrading bios

There is a couple things on WD hard drives you might want to know.

First off, they should be set to master and slave instead of C/S. As stated above multiple WD drives can conflict.

Also:
http://www.hddwiki.org/index.php/2009/07/30/a-western-digital-wd1200pb-00fba0-drive-cannot-be-identified-in-computer-bios-we-need-to-recover-user-data/
"If the universal utility is unable to read ID from that HDD and reports error 04h (ABRT), then you should launch a specialized utility for Western Digital HDDs. It will switch the drive to factory mode and attempt to read firmware header in ROM and the configuration sector in service area on disk."

You might consider manually setting your BIOS drive settings with the drive's parameters, (like sectors, cylinders and heads). I think Most BIOS will let you set these manually still.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us