Question : sendmail configuration multiple (two) relays multiple (three) exchange 2000 servers

I have two smtp relays in the DMZ - smtp1.domain.com and smtp2.domain.com.

I have three Exchange 2000 Servers on the internal side of the network, exch01.domain.com, exch02.domain.com and exch03.domain.com.

I commented out the DAEMON_OPTIONS line in sendmail.mc:

dnl DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')

MX records are set externally as smtp1.domain.com preference 10 and smtp2.domain.com preference 20
MX records are set internally as exch01.domain.com preference 10, nbomail01.domain.com preference 20, and nbomail02 preference 30

/etc/mail/local-host-names contains:
smtp1.domain.com
domain.com

/etc/hosts on smtp1 and smtp2 have the internal addresses of the Exchange 2000 servers, which are allowed through to the DMZ on port 25.

/etc/mail/access has entries for the internal addresses of smtp1 and smtp2 to allow RELAY

/etc/mail/mailertable has:

domain.com SMTP:[10.10.10.2] <- exch02

Exchange 2000 servers are set to forward to SMTP smart host and to attempt direct delivery before forwarding to smart host.

All the mail accounts are on exch01 but I am planning to move all of them to exch02 and exch03, equally distributed.

Here's the dilemma:

I can send mail out just fine but I can't receive mail - the relay refuses to deliver it.

I tried adding this to the virtusertable:
@domain.com %[email protected]

and also adding in @exch02.domain.com to the Exchange 2000 recpient policy. No incoming mail.

Same result if I only add @exch01.domain.com to the Exchange2000 recipient policy and remove @exch02.domain.com.

I put this as the only entry in the virtusertable:
@domain.com %[email protected]

and incoming mail comes through. However, no incoming mail to test users on exch02 or exch03. A test user on exch02 or exch03 trying to send mail to someone on exch01 gives the error message:

user1,test on 6/5/2003 10:27 AM
  A configuration error in the e-mail system caused the message to bounce between two servers or to be forwarded between two recipients. Contact your administrator.

How do I get the relays to pass along incoming mail to users on all three Exchange servers and also still allow users on each of the three Exchange servers to send and receive mail to each other?

Answer : sendmail configuration multiple (two) relays multiple (three) exchange 2000 servers

PAQed, with points refunded (500)

Computer101
E-E Admin
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us