Question : After Dial-Up VPN'ing, \\servername works on one PC, only \\IP-address on another

Hi experts

Something quite strange...

When I do a test on a remote PC and dial-in VPN to the server, I can access the server's resources like so:
\\DC1\Data
But on another PC, after succesfully dialing ing, \\DC1\Data won't work, but the IP address does:
\\192.168.0.200\Data

I have a server running Windows Server 2008 Standard (you can see the roles and features installed below).
This server attaches to an internet router, and we have a dynamic IP address (we use Dyndns.org)
Code Snippet:
1:
2:
3:
4:
5:
6:
7:
8:
9:
10:
11:
12:
13:
14:
15:
16:
17:
Active Directory Certificate Services
Active Directory Domain Services - to control the domain and its users
DHCP Server - to allocate IP addresses to users that dial-up VPN
DNS Server - to handle address requests for the server, i.e. hq.allegiance-air.com
File Services
Network Policy and Access Services
Terminal Services
Web Server (IIS)
Routing and Remote Access Server - For people to dial-up VPN
..and these features:
.NET Framework 3.0 Features
Connection Manager Administration Kit - Creates installation files for VPN connections for deployment to remote users
Group Policy Management - To handle Group Policy Objects for Domain users and groups
Remote Server Administration Tools
RPC over HTTP Proxy - For Terminal Service sessions for http browser access
Windows Process Activation Services
WINS Server - Handles NETBEUI requests, for example after you have dial-up VPN'd and you ask for \\DC1\Data (you don't have to ask for \\192.168.0.200\Data

Answer : After Dial-Up VPN'ing, \\servername works on one PC, only \\IP-address on another

Ideally when connected to a VPN you should use the DNS of your server.Once disconnected they use the ISP's
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us