Question : Mapped Network Drives are always "disconnected" at startup

I recently setup a new pc on a network.  This computer is running windows xp pro sp2.  The problem is whenever the computer boots up, there is an icon in the system tray that claims that the mapped network drives are disconnected.  If i double click that message, it will take me to my computer, where all the network drives "appear" to be connected (no red X).  

However, if i try to use an application that requires the mapped network drive, it will give me an error.  The only way to correct this is to manually open each mapped network drive, which it does successfully every time.  After that, all the network apps work flawlessly.

No other PC's on this network have this issue.  Oh yeah, don't know if this matters but we're running on a workgroup, not a domain.

HELP!

Answer : Mapped Network Drives are always "disconnected" at startup

Windows does not always do a good job of reconnecting network drives on bootup.  I've found you'll get a more reliable reconnect if you do it via scripts.

Just use something like:  (use the /delete to ensure the letter is available -- I do this so I can also "double-click" the script anytime I want to force a reconnect -- if, for example, I know the server has been rebooted)

net use f: /delete
net use f: \\MyServer\MyServersDrive /persistent:no
if errorlevel 0 goto MapG
Echo ***
Echo ***
Echo *** PROBLEM MAPPING NETWORK DRIVE F: ***
Echo ***
Echo ***
nete use g: /delete
net use g: \\MyServer\MyServersOtherDrive /persistent:no
if errorlevel 0 goto MapNext
Echo ***
Echo ***
Echo *** PROBLEM MAPPING NETWORK DRIVE G: ***
Echo ***
Echo ***
Pause
:MapNext

... etc.

Just create a batch (.bat) file with the script, and add a shortcut to it to the startup directory.

If you need username/password, you can add those to the script  (do a "net help use" for the full syntax)
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us