Question : Logon Time Very Slow for XP client machine, 5 mins long, connecting to windows server 2003, DNS HELP!!!

OK so i have tried folowing a few people advice as I searched the internet, I think I am doing it all wrong... Also I will include my old event log in this message.. Basically when a client computer (I have 2 or 3) that logon to the domain running server 2003 it takes over 5 minutes. I believe it is a DNS problem, but i have NO IDEA on how to address this issue.. I would need a step by step walkthrough from somebody.. I also am using a router, netgear, which uses 192.168.1.1  for the web configuration, so does that make it the gateway IP, not even sure if I will need to know that, but just trying to give you all information you may need.. Also, have about 3 computers here that attach to the router, they get their IP from the router I believe, but maybe they are getting it from the WIN 2003 server.. Like I said, I am not familiar with this area of computers.. Thanks for all your time and I hope we can get this back to a speedy logon.. If I choose not to logon to the domain, choose to log on locally, it is speedy.. So its defintley something within the win 2003 setup.... Thanks in advance!!!
Keith

http://www.petri.co.il/forums/showthread.php?t=2695

http://www.petri.co.il/forums/showthread.php?t=2695&page=2

Answer : Logon Time Very Slow for XP client machine, 5 mins long, connecting to windows server 2003, DNS HELP!!!

Sorry I didn't read all your comments, but then when I saw all the emails for your comments noticed what you said..

>>Domain Name Server (DNS) Address
>>Get Automatically From ISP         THIS WAS SELECTED, did i want to change it to Use These DNS Servers  and use my >>server ip 192.168.1.3 ???? and what would i put for secondary if this is the case? hope this info helps a bit...

Yes in your router change it from get from ISP and put in your server's IP 192.168.1.3 you don't have a secondary windows 2003 server so it's your choice if you want to put in a second one.. in your case I wouldn't.  What this means is that if your server goes down your client won't be able to get to anything on the internet.  But at least you know to check your server.  Your server should be set to use it's own DNS just like the client.  To see what is set you can go to a cmd window by going to START / RUN and entering in CMD.EXE and clicking OKAY.  Type in IPCONFIG /ALL to see all the TCP/IP settings this can be done on the client and the server.  Make sure that the DNS servers are all 192.168.1.3.. if you change it in the router, reboot the client to have it config auto through DHCP.. also look at advanced settings for TCP/IP on client and tell it to automatically register in DNS (this should be the default) this will tell the server the clients IP address so it trusts it and logs in faster.  Let me know if any aspect of this is unclear
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us