Question : PROBLEM NETWORKING TWO HP NX6310 Notebooks

I am with AARP TaxAide and we do free Taxes for the elderly.  AARP purchased several HP NX6310 Notebook computers for our use. We also have severl NX6110s and other laptops.

I have had not problems setting up networks with any of the computers except the new NX6310s. They have Winows XP Professional on them.

I connected two NX6310 laptops together with a cable. I set the work groups the same on both units. I clicked on "Sharing and security" and made sure the files can be shared.  I made sure "Obtain an IP address automatically" is selected. "Obtain DNS server address automatically" is selected. "Use Simple file sharing " is selected.  I restarted both computers.  When I go to "My Computer" "Map Network drive" "Browse" I cannot access the files under the workgrouk to map to a drive.
It also tells me the the "Local area Network is Connected" when I just have the cable connected betweeb the two computers.

If I did the same thing with any of the other laptops I can map the shared files to a drive.

I have been on the phone for 2 hours with HP and all they can tell me is the hardware is working and contact your network administrator.

There has to be some setting on the NX6310s tha is causing this problem.  

One more thing. I can connect to the internet.

one more thing. I tried a wireless connection and the same thing happens.

Answer : PROBLEM NETWORKING TWO HP NX6310 Notebooks

Is the firewall turned off?

Can you see the shares on the other computer if you try to connect via unc   \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  (ip address of shared computer)
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us